How many times have you found yourself forgetting where you’ve left your keys or blanked out during an examination?
Whether you are a student, a working professional or an aged person you are constantly pondering over ways and tricks to improve your grey matter. But what we need to understand is that there is no such thing as a “bad memory” until & unless you are not suffering from a medical condition such as Alzheimer’s. But what you have to realize is that improving your memory is no rocket science, all you need is your dedication and optimistic approach.
As a student, our memory plays a very vital role. But what serves in our favor is the astonishing ability of the human brain to adapt and change. To use our brains to their full capacity, our specialists have developed a few techniques. Trust us on this, these exercises might look and sound easy but they will definitely give you an upper hand during the examination season.
EXERCISE 1 – RECALL YOUR ROUTINE
- This is an exercise, which involves re-calling your entire day right before you are off to sleep.
- One must re-call everything from waking up to going back to sleep. This activity should not take more than 5 mins.
- The next day, re-call everything of that day as well as the previous day. Don’t get stressed if you are not able to recall the previous day as it might need some practice
This exercise will act as a booster for the part of the brain that we use more often. After sometime you will definitely see a difference not only in your ability to recall your routine but also in remembering what you’ve studied.
EXERCISE 2 – RECALLING THE TOPICS
- For this exercise, you will need a pen and paper
- You need to write all the topics you have covered in a particular subject.
- Mention the sub-topics, study material & reference books that you have used. Remember, what you’ve recalled should be in a sequence
- Now tally all that you have written and with the help of a red pen add/correct all the topics that are missing or need alteration
- Give a gap of 2-3 days and follow the same procedure.
Note: Do this exercise prior to the first one which is mentioned above.
Perform this exercise 2-3 days in a week.
This activity will help the brain to deliver stronger results in the field of academics. As this exercise is directly related to academics, in a span of few months you will realise how powerful your mind has become.
EXERCISE 3 – PLAYING CHESS OR SUDOKU
This exercise is a fun way for students to strengthen their memory. Many students when they take a break, end up using their mobile phones where they generally engage themselves in their social media platforms. This social media addiction wastes a lot of time of the students. Instead, when you take a break, spend time on playing games like Chess and Sudoku and avoid wasting your time on things that make won’t help you grow. There are several pros of playing chess and Sudoku but what counts the most is the ability to enhance your mathematical and analytical skills.
EXERCISE 4 – DEVELOPING THE NON-DEVELOPED TISSUES
This activity focuses on developing tissues that are less developed.
- In this activity, you will be required to use your non-working hand to carry out your day to day activity
- If you are right handed you should try doing everything with your left hand for e.g. brushing your teeth or eating your food. But while studying make sure you use your right hand as it can hamper the speed of your writing.
This exercise will have a direct impact on your brain and will help you to develop that side of the brain that is less used. While writing a paper, your brain will be automatically prompted if you are writing anything that is incorrect and eventually the silly mistakes will begin to fade.
Before your next big exam, make sure you try these simple tips and tricks. Most importantly remember, if you are dedicated to achieving your goal, you will be able to give your best in everything; whether it’s world memory championship or acing your IITJEE & NEET examination.
Now that the examinations are not very far, go sharpen your pencils and mind.