The Indian National Mathematical Olympiad (INMO) is a high school mathematics competition conducted by HBCSE every year on the 3rd Sunday of January. The IMO in India consists of six stages i.e. Pre- Regional Mathematics Olympiad, Regional Mathematical Olympiad, IMO Training Camp at HBCSE, Indian National Mathematics INMO, Pre-Departure Camp HBCSE, and International Olympiad. It is a subjective examination.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
INMO is the 3rd stage of IMO. Around thirty best-performing students from the RMO are selected from each state; (approximately 900) qualify for the third stage i.e. INMO.
The syllabus covers pre-degree college mathematics including arithmetic of integers, geometry, quadratic equations and expressions, trigonometry, co-ordinate geometry, system of linear equations, factorization of polynomial, inequalities, elementary combinatorics, probability theory, number theory, finite series, and complex numbers and elementary graph theory. The syllabus does not include calculus and statistics. The paper comprises questions majorly from algebra, combinatorics, geometry, and number theory.
Benefits for INMO qualifiers
- Students qualifying the INMO are automatically eligible for admission to the B.Sc. (Hons) Mathematics course in the Chennai Mathematical Institute.
- Since 2008, INMO awardees applying for B. Stat or B. Math courses of the Indian Statistical Institute are directly called for the interview without having to write the written test.
- INMO awardees who continue with their studies in mathematics are also eligible for an NBHM scholarship worth Rs. 2500 per month.
- They are also offered a 4-year program for training in Mathematics with a chosen faculty. The program is also available to INMO awardees who do not pursue an undergraduate degree in Mathematics but have a special interest in the subject. They are offered an annual cash award of Rs. 9,000 which is subjected to satisfactory performance in the program.
- Students who make it to the IMO are eligible for the Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) fellowship provided they pursue their studies in the science subjects in India. The fellowship amount stands at Rs. 5000 per month.
- Indian team members who receive a gold, silver or bronze at IMO are given cash awards by the NBHM of Rs. 5,000, Rs. 4,000 and Rs. 3,000 respectively.
- All expenses pertaining to the IMO Training Camp is borne by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
INMO 2020 Paper Solution by ALLEN Kota
The Indian National Mathematical Olympiad (INMO) 2020 paper solution by ALLEN Career Institute will be available from 19th January 2020 here: www.allen.ac.in/answer-keys/inmo-paper-solution.asp